Reports To: Director of Programs
Location: San Jose, CA.
Position: SIREN invites application from candidates seeking a full time position
Organization Overview: SIREN has evolved to become one of the premiere immigrant rights organization in Northern California and has strengthened its infrastructure to become an anchor organization for immigrant rights in the Bay Area. SIREN is rare among immigrant rights organizations because it combines community organizing, policy advocacy and immigration legal services. The combination of these three strategies contributes to SIREN's ability to provide strong leadership in immigrant and refugee integration. These three program areas serve as a model to improve the living conditions of immigrants: (1) Immigration Legal Services: to provide immigration legal application assistance, information and education to immigrant and refugee communities in order that they may become full participants in society; (2) Community Organizing: to assist communities in tapping their potential for leadership and to allow empowerment, education, and communication among all communities; and (3) Policy Advocacy: to promote policies that protect immigrant rights and empower immigrants to make an impact on the political decisions that affect their lives.
The mission of SIREN is to empower low-income immigrants and refugees in Northern and Central California through direct services, community education and organizing, leadership development, and policy advocacy. We believe that all people regardless of legal status or nationality are entitled to essential services, human dignity, basic rights and protections, and access to full participation in society.
Position: Community Outreach Associate - Under the supervision of the Director of Programs, the Community Outreach Associate is responsible for developing and implementing community outreach efforts for the purposes of informing community members of their rights and generating referrals to SIREN’s legal services. The Community Outreach Associate will deepen community relations with entities that engage with the diverse immigrant and refugee populations in the region and work with a team of SIREN Leaders. In addition, the Community Outreach Associate will also co-facilitate a group of youth leaders to assist with outreach and education in SIREN’s service area.
- Stay knowledgeable of SIREN’s services, and rights and benefits available to immigrants and refugees by attending trainings and staying up to date
- Develop outreach plans to deepen partnerships with entities that work with and/or serve immigrant and refugee communities (including Latino, Asian Pacific Islander, African, Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, Eastern European, youth and LGBTQ communities)
- Identify opportunities for community-based education, outreach and networking
- Develop, present, and distribute program materials, presentations, and flyers on know your rights information and SIREN’s services and programs
- Conduct presentations to immigrant and refugee communities on their rights and benefits available to them
- Train SIREN Leaders to conduct community education and outreach for legal workshops
- Participate in media interviews related to issues affecting the immigrant community; Collaborate with SIREN’s Legal department to coordinate logistics for legal workshops and SIREN events.
- Maintain documentation to ensure program effectiveness and support evaluation efforts
- Participate in planning meetings with collaborative regarding joint outreach and legal efforts
- Complete reporting forms, work plans and other documentation as needed in an accurate and timely manner; and
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- Experience in developing and implementing community outreach and/or organizing campaigns (such as issue or candidate campaigns, voter registration, or other types of organizing)
- Ability to work with immigrant communities, educational institutions; government entities, and agencies serving immigrant communities
- Knowledge of immigrant rights issues, including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals; Naturalization process, Immigrant Rights and Removal defense
- Familiarity with Northern California services and organizations pertinent to immigrant and refugee communities;
- Experience working with grassroots leaders, youth, and individuals engaging in on-the-ground outreach
- Demonstrated commitment to working with immigrant and refugee communities
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, multi-task, possess good judgment, and work independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual/bi-literate in Spanish/English required
- Experience with media a plus
- Available to work on weekends and evenings
- Have own vehicle and valid CA driver’s license
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three references. Please email to HR@siren-bayarea.org with “Community Outreach Associate application” in the subject line.
SIREN is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds, especially individuals from immigrant and refugee communities. People of color, immigrants, women, LGBTQ persons, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to seek employment at SIREN.