The mission of Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network (SIREN) is to empower low-income immigrants and refugees in Santa Clara County through direct services, community education, leadership development, and policy advocacy. We believe that all people, regardless of legal status or nationality, are entitled to essential services, human dignity, basic rights and protections, and access to full participation in society.
SIREN is proud to be a leader of the immigrant rights movement in the Silicon Valley and to promote and implement policies and strategies that support equitable participation in, and access to, society's resources and opportunities for immigrant communities.
INTERNSHIP: SIREN is offering an Immigrant Rights Organizer Internship within its Community Organizing Program. SIREN will provide the Immigrant Rights Organizer Intern an opportunity to acquire grassroots community organizing and issue organizing skills while directly impacting policies for immigrants. The Intern will be equipped with organizing skills they can apply to their future job or bring back to their community for change.
The Immigrant Rights Organizer Internship is an 8 week commitment for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
DUTIES: The Intern will help coordinate community education, outreach and advocacy on SIREN issue campaigns. The Intern will:
- Assist in coordination of community education presentations throughout Silicon Valley
- Assist in campaign strategy, planning, assessment and implementation, and help to coordinate and organize community mobilizations when needed.
- Assist with coordination of SIREN’s Leadership Development program
- Engage community in SIREN campaigns and support community leaders in mobilizing their base
- Assist in establishing relationships with organizers and activists from allied organizations and communities
- Monitor and represent SIREN as an organization, and actively participate in relevant community meetings related to Immigrant Rights campaigns or other campaigns as needed
- Assist with development and distribution of community education materials
- Database information gathering by the Organizing Department;
- Work collaboratively with Policy and Organizing department staff and other SIREN staff; and
- Perform other tasks as needed
- Committed and passionate about immigrant rights
- Ability to follow projects through to completion
- Motivated and independent
- Must be responsible and have the ability to multitask
- Must have capacity to analyze multi-faceted issues
- Must have transportation
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English and Spanish
- Available to work on nights and/or weekends, as needed
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Prior experience or courses in community organizing or civic engagement a plus
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please email a cover letter describing how the internship meets your long-term goals and resume to the attention of: Jeremy Barousse, Community Organizer, Services, Immigrant Rights, and Education Network (SIREN), 1425 Koll Circle, Suite 109, San Jose, CA 95112, or via email at email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of September 25, 2015.