INTERNSHIP: SIREN is offering an Immigrant Rights Organizer Internship within its Community Organizing Program. SIREN will provide the Immigrant Rights Organizer Intern an opportunity to acquire grassroots community organizing and issue organizing skills while directly impacting policies for immigrants. The Intern will be equipped with organizing skills they can apply to their future job or bring back to their community for change.
The Immigrant Rights Organizer Internship is an 8 week commitment for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
DUTIES: The Intern will help coordinate community education, outreach and advocacy on SIREN issue campaigns. The Intern will:
- Assist in coordination of community education presentations throughout Silicon Valley
- Assist in campaign strategy, planning, assessment and implementation, and help to coordinate and organize community mobilizations when needed.
- Assist with coordination of SIREN’s Leadership Development program
- Engage community in SIREN campaigns and support community leaders in mobilizing their base
- Assist in establishing relationships with organizers and activists from allied organizations and communities
- Monitor and represent SIREN as an organization, and actively participate in relevant community meetings related to Immigrant Rights campaigns or other campaigns as needed
- Assist with development and distribution of community education materials
- Database information gathering by the Organizing Department;
- Work collaboratively with Policy and Organizing department staff and other SIREN staff; and
- Perform other tasks as needed
- Committed and passionate about immigrant rights
- Ability to follow projects through to completion
- Motivated and independent
- Must be responsible and have the ability to multitask
- Must have capacity to analyze multi-faceted issues
- Must have transportation
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English and Spanish
- Available to work on nights and/or weekends, as needed
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Prior experience or courses in community organizing or civic engagement a plus
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please email a cover letter describing how the internship meets your long-term goals and resume to the attention of: SIREN Human Resources, via email at HR@siren-bayarea.org Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.